Photovoltaic systems, also called solar cells, are devices that directly convert sunlight, which consists of photons, into electrical energy.
The technology of converting solar energy into electric current is called photovoltaic. In this process, semiconductors such as silicon, gallium arsenide, cadmium telluride, copper indium diselenide are used.
Photovoltaic (PV) systems are clean and environmentally friendly systems that do not emit carbon to the environment during this process.
PV systems are mostly used in areas far from the grid and where the electricity grid cannot be pulled at low cost.
Photovoltaic systems, which are one of the systems with the best conversion feature of renewable energy, have many benefits.
We can list them as follows:
- It is suitable for use in small and medium-sized businesses and residences.
- PV systems are safe and reliable systems.
- Solar energy is renewable energy.
- It does not require maintenance and repair.
- Easily installed anywhere.
- It does not produce harmful gases and does not make noise.
- It greatly reduces greenhouse gas emissions.
Photovoltaic cells can be considered as the basic building block of a photovoltaic system. A single photovoltaic cell produces only small enough energy to power devices such as wrist watches or calculators.
Photovoltaic cells are connected in series to form solar energy panels consisting of different numbers of cells and designed to work in outdoor environments.